Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions about your AA Membership, benefits, services, or anything AA-related, you’ve come to the right place.
I need help choosing a product
Accessing Your Benefits
Which AA Membership services can I access online?
The following additional information and services are available online. Click on the link to go directly to the service you require:
AA Products and Membership
Which Membership options are available to me?
The Automobile Association of South Africa has the following Membership options available to suit South Africans from every walk of life:
How do I join the AA?
There are many ways that you can join the AA. You can sign up online, join via our call centre, or sign up in-store at our AA Accredited Sales agents.
Once you have signed up, you should receive your Membership details from us containing a link to download the AA App which contains your digital Membership card. If you require a physical AA Membership card, simply call 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm, to request one.
If you require assistance before you have received your Membership details, we’ll gladly provide the help you need. Simply call us on 0861 000 234 and give us your ID number to access your benefits. You will be required to answer a few security questions to validate your AA Membership.
What can I expect when I sign up as an AA Member?
The AA looks after you, not just your car. AA Members get access to unrivalled benefits, ranging from roadside and emergency medical rescue to long-distance travel benefits as well as lifestyle benefits. View the summary of benefits.
When does my AA Membership become active?
Your core benefits will be available as soon as your payment has been received and your extended benefits will be activated after 72 hours, as we require a little longer to confirm your access. Remember that EFT payments can take up to 48 hours to reflect in our bank account.
How do I add my family members?
- If you are a paid-up AA Member, your spouse and dependants under the age of 25 may take advantage of a 40% discount off the AA Membership rate.
- If you have family members 60 years and over, who travel less frequently, they may prefer our AA 60+ Advantage+, AA 60+ Advantage Membership options, giving them peace of mind at a price to suit their pocket.
To add your loved ones, you can visit our website and amend your Membership online, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm to arrange for your spouse or dependant/s to be added to your Membership or to upgrade your benefits with immediate effect, as soon as your payment is received.
Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer and should be available after 72 hours.
How do I update or change my Membership?
To make any amendments to your Membership like adding or removing a spouse or dependants, you can visit https://appserver.aa.co.za/MemberApplication/ or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm to arrange for your spouse or dependant/s to be added to your Membership or to upgrade your benefits with immediate effect, as soon as your payment is received.
Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer and should be available after 72 hours.
How do I renew my AA Membership?
To renew your AA Membership, visit https://appserver.aa.co.za/MemberApplication/ or call us on 011 799 1696 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm to renew your Membership.
Can I upgrade my AA Membership?
You can upgrade your Membership at any time. Call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm. Or, if you prefer, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agents. You will receive immediate access to core benefits, as soon as your payment has been received. Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer and should be available after 72 hours.
Can I make changes to my AA Membership?
Changes to your AA Membership, other than upgrading your Membership, can only be when you renew your Membership.
Am I able to transfer my AA Membership?
AA Membership is not transferrable. It is not attached to any specific vehicle however, covers you in any vehicle you may drive.
How do I update my personal details?
It’s important to keep your personal details up to date in the event of an emergency. You can update your details by calling 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm, by visiting visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agent stores or visiting https://appserver.aa.co.za/MemberApplication/ and logging into My AA.
How can I reach the AA in case of an emergency?
What details do I need to provide if I call the AA for assistance?
In order to give you quick and efficient assistance, please have your AA Membership number handy. If you do not have it with you, we’ll be able to confirm your Membership using your ID number.
When call-outs are needed, we’ll need to know the type of assistance you require, your exact location and destination details, as well as your vehicle details, so that we can find you easily.
How long will it take the AA to get to me?
We will get to you as quickly as possible by dispatching the first available and closest vehicle to your assistance. The response time will vary depending on traffic and incident volumes, as well as your location and the prevailing weather conditions. The AA Emergency Call Centre dispatch team will advise you of the estimated time of arrival when you call.
Do I need to update my motor vehicle details?
To avoid spending time adding your vehicle details when you call for roadside assistance, call us on 0861 000 234 or e-mail us at TheAA@aasa.co.za, to update your vehicle details.
What if I am not present at my vehicle when assistance is required?
Your AA Membership is personal to you. This means that you need to be present when assistance is required. No other person can use your AA Membership card or access your benefits in your absence.
Can my friends and family request assistance?
Your friends and family can use AA services to help them:
- They may request assistance by calling us on 0861 000 234. One of our consultants will assist and provide a quote for the service required and assistance can then be dispatched immediately.
- They may call us on 0861 000 234 and arrange to take up AA Membership with access to core benefits immediately by making payment on the phone or through our roadside patrol technicians. Access to our range of extended benefits takes a little longer and should be available after 72 hours.
Am I still covered if I am a passenger in someone else’s car?
Your AA Membership covers you and not your car. This means that you can take advantage of all the AA’s benefits and services regardless of whether you are the driver or passenger, in your, or someone else’s vehicle.
What if I have used all my call-outs for the year?
The AA will always assist you even if you have already used all your call-out entitlements for your Membership year. The AA Emergency Call Centre dispatch team will quote you at AA preferential rates.
Your Towing Benefits
What does my AA breakdown towing benefit cover?
Full details of your Membership benefits can be viewed on our website – /terms-conditions.
Your AA Membership breakdown towing benefit covers a set distance from the scene of the breakdown to the drop off point of your vehicle.
We will tow your vehicle to the nearest place of safety or repair according to your Membership entitlements. You are personally liable for the cost of any additional kilometres over and above your kilometre allowance, which will be charged at AA Member discounted rates.
If you are an AA Advantage+, AA Advantage or AA 60+ Member, then the same rules apply, however, should you break down more than 100 km from home, if your vehicle is involved in an accident or any insurable risk incident your extended benefits will apply:
- Overnight accommodation for you and up to 4 passengers; or 24-hour car hire and vehicle repatriation; or long-distance towing at AA Member discounted rates if you are not an AA Advantage+ Member.
What is accident towing and when does it apply?
The AA Accident Recovery Towing Service applies when:
- there is damage to the body panels or the undercarriage, wheels or suspension of your vehicle, as a result of a collision with another vehicle, pothole, or another object; or,
- the accident occurs as a result of an electrical or mechanical failure of your vehicle, or the vehicle caught on fire; or,
- your vehicle is not able to be driven as a result of damage incurred during an attempted theft, kerb related damage, windscreen damage as a result of an accident, stone damage, hail damage or water damage, however, based on the circumstances surrounding the incident the AA, at its own discretion, may assess the degree of damage caused before classifying this as an accident.
Accident towing benefits are available at preferential rates to AA Members, and free of charge to all AA Advantage+ Members.
If you would like to upgrade to AA Advantage+ Membership, to ensure that you will be covered free of charge for AA Accident Towing Services, visit www.aa.co.za, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm. Or, if you prefer, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agents. You will have immediate access to core benefits as soon as your payment is received, and to our range of extended benefits after only 72 hours.
Does my AA Membership provide for car hire?
In the event of a breakdown more than 100km from home, or accident, the AA may arrange car hire for you at your request:
- For AA Advantage+, AA Advantage and AA 60+ Members who break down more than 100km away from home, and where the vehicle cannot be repaired the same day, you may qualify for 24 hours free car hire.
Your AA Membership Fees
When do I pay my AA Membership subscription?
- If you have signed up for an annual cash subscription, your AA Membership renewal payment should be received before the expiry date to ensure uninterrupted cover. You will receive a renewal statement one month before the expiry date to remind you that your payment is due.
- If you selected to pay by recurring monthly debit order, your AA Membership will be automatically renewed each year on your anniversary, and your monthly debit order continues as before.
- If you pay by recurring annual debit order, your AA Membership subscription will automatically be debited from your bank account one month before your Membership anniversary date.
How can I pay my AA Membership subscription?
There are several easy payment options available:
- EFT or direct deposit at any First National Bank branch
|Bank||First National Bank|
|Account name||The Automobile Association of SA|
|Branch||Corporate Customer Services Johannesburg|
|Branch code||255 005|
|Account number||5683 0006 388|
|Payment reference||Use your Membership number as a reference so that your payment is allocated to the correct account.|
|Proof of payment||
Send your proof of payment to:
Fax: 086 524 2251
- Credit/Debit cardFeel free to call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm and one of our consultants will assist you over the phone, or alternatively, visit any of our AA Accredited Sales Agents.
- Debit OrderJoin online here, or call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm, to arrange payment by debit order. Alternatively, visit one of our AA Accredited Sales Agents. You will have immediate access to core benefits as soon as your payment is received and to our range of extended benefits after 72 hours.
- EasyPayYou may also pay at your convenience via EasyPay at any Pick ‘n Pay, Spar, Shoprite, Checkers, Checkers Hyper, Lewis or Woolworths store.
- OnlineTo renew your AA Membership, visit https://appserver.aa.co.za/MemberApplication/.
Can I get a Tax Invoice?
Please call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm, or request a tax invoice via email at TheAA@aasa.co.za.
What will happen if my AA Membership subscription is not up to date?
Your AA Membership subscription must be fully paid up for you to have continued and uninterrupted access to your benefits. If your Membership is not up to date at the time of requesting roadside assistance you will be asked to pay for the services provided.
What are AA value-added services?
We offer a range of value-added services to our Members. You can subscribe to any of these services at any time during your Membership.
AA Traveller Magazine
AA Advantage+ Members get the AA Traveller magazine delivered to their door each quarter. Ensure that your details are up-to-date in order to receive it.
If you are not an AA Advantage+ Member, you can add on the AA Traveller magazine to your subscription by visiting https://appserver.aa.co.za/MemberApplication/.
AA Armed Response
Get personal Armed Response at the press of a button via the AA App. AA Members pay only R25 per month, and non-members pay R35 per month. For more information about AA Armed response, visit /aa-armed-response-faqs.
Contacting the AA
How can I contact the AA?
You can save our contact details to your phone, so you’ll have access Anywhere. Anytime:
|Telephone||0861 000 234|
AA Membership Options
How can I cancel my AA Membership?
You may cancel your AA Membership by providing 30 days’ notice prior your Membership anniversary date to avoid any cancellation fees. Should you wish to cancel your Membership within your current 12-month subscription period you may remain liable for any amounts incurred in the rendering of services during the current Membership subscription period, as well as a cancellation fee, which will be calculated at the time of cancellation.
Call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm, or send your request together with the reason for your cancellation by email at TheAA@aasa.co.za.
What is the standard AA Membership option?
AA Advantage provides peace-of-mind cover with call-outs based on our fair use policy every 12 months, with a 50km tow distance. It includes all our main benefits, as well as overnight accommodation and car hire.
What AA Membership option do you have for over 60’s?
AA 60+ Advantage and AA 60+ Advantage+ Membership is specially designed for those aged 60 years and over, who travel less frequently. It provides a range of emergency benefits at a rate to suit your pocket, including unlimited roadside assistances per Membership year as well as overnight accommodation or car hire and vehicle repatriation.
This option is available exclusively to all AA Members who are over 60 years of age upon their request, so please call us on 0861 000 234 weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm, if you would like to change your Membership to this option.
What additional services can I expect from AA Advantage+ Membership?
Our AA Advantage+ Membership provides a wide-ranging package of on-the-road services, including all of our core services, as well as many value-added extended benefits such as:
- 200-kilometre round trip coverage
- Call-outs based on our fair use policy every 12 months
- Accident and attempted theft recovery towing
- Subscription to the AA Traveller quarterly Magazine
- Overnight accommodation for you and up to 4 passengers; or 24-hour car hire and vehicle repatriation; or long distance. These benefits are deducted from an annual extended benefit kitty amount, which are explained in your Membership Terms and Conditions.
Travelling with the AA
Where can I get an International Driving Permit (IDP)?
What documents do I need when I apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP)?
In order for us to issue your IDP on the spot, we will need you to bring a few documents with you. Since these vary according to the country of your destination, please click here to see the specific requirements for each country.
I am travelling to a neighbouring country, what services are available to me?
While the AA provides services in South Africa, towing of vehicles in the event of a breakdown can be arranged in Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia. Your vehicle will be towed to the nearest place of safety or repair, subject to the availability of a suitable service provider according to your Membership entitlements.
Please note that these services cannot be guaranteed. Should you have an emergency, please call 0861 000 234, and you will receive assistance where possible. Further details and the terms and conditions of out-of-country benefits are available online.
Can the AA assist me with preparations for cross-border travel?
If you are going to be travelling through Southern Africa by road, you should be aware of all the relevant preparations you’ll need to make to keep you safe and to ensure your journey is trouble-free.
The AA Travel Department can provide you with all the details you’ll need from visa regulations to precautions, as well as the paperwork required to take your vehicle across the border. Call us on 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm for assistance, or click here for more details.
If I am travelling overseas, will I be assisted in the country I am going to visit?
The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) is the worldwide organisation of Touring Clubs and Automobile Associations. FIA clubs are under agreement to provide a broad range of services to Members from all partner clubs and associations travelling abroad for a period of three months at any one time.
These services may vary from club to club, but will generally be the same as those provided by clubs to their own Members. Kindly refer to the FIA website for more information.
Can the AA assist me with information on road conditions?
The AA Travel Department can assist Members with providing information on a range of topics, including road conditions, maps, travel routes, holiday arrangements, car hire as well as valuable information on motoring and travel. You can also visit our road conditions and distance calculator on our website.
Please note that this service is only available in South Africa. Call 0861 000 234, weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm for assistance.
AA Armed Response
For any questions about AA Armed Response, you can visit our dedicated page.