Frequently asked questions
1. What is AA Rem-i Amica?
Rem-i Amica is a wearable GSM-enabled panic button that summons emergency medical or security services at the press of a button. In addition, once activated, the Rem-i Amica sends an sms message to two pre-loaded contacts alerting them to the fact that you have activated a panic response. This alert includes a location pin of your current location.
2. Where does Rem-i Amica work? (e.g. only in SA or anywhere in the world?)
The unit can work anywhere in the world depending on whether you have international roaming or not. However, the security and emergency medical services are only available in South Africa. The Rem-i Amica also serves as a tracking device and this function can be used anywhere in the world.
3. How much is the Rem-i Amica subscription?
R49 (Incl VAT) per month for non-Members. AA Members pay a discounted rate of only R39 per month (Incl VAT).
4. How much does the Rem-i Amica device cost?
R1 999 (Incl VAT) once off
5. Where can I purchase the Rem-i Amica subscription and device?
AA Cresta store
AA store at AA offices in Kyalami
All participating outlets
6. Is this a 12, 24 or 36 month contract?
The Rem-i Amica is not contract based; the subscription can be cancelled at any time.
7. I am not an AA Member, can I purchase the Rem-i Amica and subscribe to the service?
Yes, anyone can subscribe. AA Members pay only R39 per month (Incl VAT).
8. Can I use the device without the subscription?
No, the device requires a subscription.
9. Can I buy a device with a subscription for my family, friends or employees?
Yes, you can buy the device for anyone. Once purchased, the same subscription fees apply to each device.
10. How do I activate my device?
11. How many devices can I have on my subscription?
You can purchase any number of Rem-i Amica devices, but each device requires a separate subscription.
12. What happens if I need security assistance or emergency medical support?
Press the button on the Rem-i Amica device for about three seconds until it vibrates. This activates the emergency response protocols, including sending a notification to the security control room and the first emergency contact listed on your device.
13. Do I need to have a smartphone to use the device?
The Rem-i Amica is a fully stand-alone device. You don’t need a smartphone to activate a panic and you can configure and track your device in any web browser.
14. Do I need an e-mail address to subscribe?
Yes, your email address will be used as your username.
15. Who can I contact for technical assistance?
For technical assistance you can contact the AA App Support Team on 011 799 5762
16. Who can I contact for a faulty device?
Contact the AA App Support Team on 011 799 5762
17. Who can I contact for general enquiries and debit orders?
For general enquiries and debit orders contact AA Customer Care on 011 799 1696
18. Does the device come with a warranty?
Yes, the Rem-i Amica device has a 12-month warranty.
19. Can I give my device to my child when he/she goes on trips?
Yes, you can, and it will allow you to track them in real time.
20. What happens if I don’t have data or there is no network in my area?
Airtime/data and network coverage are required for the device to operate. You must ensure the device is always charged, and that it has enough airtime/data to send messages.
21. Does the device work in rural areas where there are no street names?
22. What happens if my subscription is overdue and I need assistance?
If your subscription is 30+ days overdue we will cancel your subscription due to non-payment and you will not be assisted in an emergency situation.
23. Which security company do you use?
The security service is operated through our partner CASi which contracts more than 180 security service providers throughout South Africa.
24. How do I cancel the subscription?
To cancel the service contact 0861 000 234
25. Can I re-use the device for another person?
Yes, but they need their own subscription.
26. How does the Rem-i Amica device activate a fall notification?
For a fall activation to be noted, the device must sense height, impact, and angle. The height of the fall must be above 1 meter, and the angle must change more than 45 degrees. The pre-programmed emergency contacts will be alerted without the user pushing the Rem-i Amica button when the fall sensor is activated. Due to daily life activities or events, the device might detect an incorrect fall and will cause a false alarm. However, users can manually cancel the fall alert by pressing the Rem-i Amica panic button during its beeping.